Salary: R25,000 per month + Commission (Negotiable on qualifications and experience)
This position requires an individual who are able to fully engage with the software development team on various levels within the SDLC areas and processes. Apart from the typical technical leadership role associated with aX3 Developer, this position requires that the individual realise that he/she will more importantly play a support role within the team. Support to his/her peers as well as management.
The candidate must really believe that he or she will be able to take the development team to the next level in terms of standards, efficiency, productivity and quality of work – and as such, should be passionate, innovative and hunger for continuous improvement within the business unit.
This role will require the successful candidate to assist management with driving and implementing concepts and ideas developed within the team, to execution and adoption on ground level within the team.
The following section provides an overview of the typical skills required for the X3 Developer position that has been identified.
The successful candidate:
Must be passionate about software, architecture and the magic that is code! Your work does not end at 17:00, as after 17:00, it is your time – time for getting your hands dirty on POC’s and other weird and wonderful technologies to stimulate your creativity!
Must be an expert in the technologies used within the X3 development team. As a Developer, your colleagues will look to you for guidance, support and answers…
Must have a good grasp of typical business elements and concepts
o Understand and appreciate that we are ultimately developing software to fulfil a business requirement – not the other way around
o Be able to engage with customers and discuss business related topics: i.e. – talk their language in their meetings.
o Be well spoken and convey confidence and authority when engaging clients
Have excellent communication and people skills
o Software is created by people and as such the successful candidate must be able to identify the strengths, weaknesses, ambitions and personalities within the team and apply this knowledge to get the most out of the team in order to play the “support” role in the team successfully.
Must be able to engage and lead in software design activities – not necessarily do all the design work – but support other design efforts in the team and be fully aware of all software designs that are done within the team in order to ensure quality, consistency, best practice and standards.
Must have a rich hands-on background in the writing and the implementation of code.
Must be knowledgeable and experienced enough to enable him/her to continuously fight for architecture design and consistency within the team.
Must be innovative, positive-thinking and a solution provider. Think outside the box!
Must understand, and be able to contribute to the internal processes within the X3 Development Business Unit in order to continuously improve and enhance our methodology.
Be aware of competitive products and technologies in the market. Identify research and communicate to peers and management. Ensure your team is aware as well!
Qualifications and Experience
Successful candidates will meet the following minimum qualification criteria:
1. A minimum level Microsoft Certification of
a. MCPD on Microsoft Visual Studio 2010, and/or
b. MCPD on Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
2. A relevant tertiary education diploma / degree in computer science or related disciplines.
3. A minimum of 5 years hands-on experience in developing either windows or web based software solutions.
Typical Activities and Responsibilities
1. Constantly be aware of activities within the team to ensure early corrective actions and proper communication to management.
2. Make decisions on design and architectural activities with and within the team.
3. Build morale and confidence in the team.
4. Assist with matching people and tasks based on skills and experience. (Resource management will not be part of your responsibilities)
5. Mentoring of team members
6. Ensure high quality of requirements provided to the team and assist analysts with the process of documenting requirements accurately, efficiently and clearly.
7. Assist with the estimation of work efforts and costs for delivering software
8. Report technical debt and status of developments accurately to management
9. Engage with clients and assist with the managing of:
o Delivery of solutions
o General Relationship
o Value delivered in terms of cost
10. Do the necessary key account management for clients that will be assigned to you.
11. Software development - coding
12. Software design and architecture
13. Best practice and development patterns:
o Keeping on top of patterns and practices
o Ensuring adoption and implementation